- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh oregano and/or basil or 2 teaspoons dried oregano and/or basil, crushed
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound uncooked ground turkey
- 8 ciabatta rolls, split
- 16 slices tomato
- Fresh oregano and/or basil sprigs (optional)
1. In a large bowl, combine egg, onion, Parmesan cheese, the snipped fresh or the dried oregano and/or basil, the ketchup, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef and ground turkey; mix well. Shape mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties.
2. For a charcoal grill, place patties on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (165°F), turning once halfway through grilling. Toast ciabatta rolls on the grill. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce to medium. Place patties, then ciabatta rolls on grill rack over heat.
Cover and grill as above. )
3. Serve burgers on toasted ciabatta rolls with tomato slices and, if desired, additional fresh oregano and/or basil sprigs. Makes 8 servings.